Filed under: A Little Me, Futuristic Musings, Health, Music, NaNoWriMo, On Stage, Plays/Musicals, Song Writing, Writing | Tags: 13, 2013, audition, Goals, music, musical, novel, Singing, writing
Did you know my favorite number is 13?
I was born on October 13, which is also known as International Skeptics Day, though I’ve never tossed salt over my shoulder on the very rare occasion that I’ve spilt salt. So there’s that and then there’s the fact that I’ve never had a negative experience surrounding the number 13–generally things are good.
And now I have a feeling that 2013 is setting up to be the year to beat. I’m going to make it that way.
In mapping out my goals and things I want to accomplish this coming year, I decided to break them into monthly pieces for the most part. In 2012, I found that the monthly projects I did turned out better than other things (such as VEDA and NaNoWriMo). And I feel like my motivation to make everything come to fruition keeps increasing the more I do.
So here are the goals and goings-on for this year! I’m keeping everything fairly flexible since things can change (namely due to possible auditions), but here’s a good idea of what I’d like to accomplish in the first few months.
- Completing the Whole30.
The why: I’m generally a healthy person, but I really want to see how different foods affect me and if eliminating certain food groups will optimize my body’s functions. So starting today, January 2, I’m doing the Whole30. I’ve been easing my way into the habits and meals I’ll be eating so it’s not a complete shock to my system. And if my body functions better (sleeping better, more energy, etc), I will likely continue and perhaps slowly reintroduce the food groups I cut out to see if I can handle them. Anyone else want to join me in doing this?
- Audition for Les Miserables at Pioneer Theatre.
- Rehearsals for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
- Making sure I have a place to move into when my lease is up.
- Edit my NaNoWriMo Novel and polish up the ending.
The why: Because you can’t complete National Novel Writing Month and do nothing with the 50K+ words that you wrote for it. I want to prepare it for trial readers and perhaps publishing if it is well received. This will be my first round of edits and hope to have a decent second draft by the end of March (since rehearsals will be insane).
- Joseph: Rehearsals in February and performances in March.
- Moving into a new place March 1–should be a ball.
- Audition for Ragtime at Hale Centre Theatre, March 16.
- Participate in VEDA again.
The why: Because I loved the experience last year and I feel like vlogging really lights a flame under my butt to do something more (well, it did last August).
- Finish up my website portal.
The why: I’ve been in the process of building a website for my music/performing purposes and also a website to be a spot for my writing (since I hope to turn both into a source of income in the near future). And because they are separate facets in my life, they need different zones on the web. They will still be connected–not like I have two identities–just separate. It makes sense in my head.
- Hard to know yet! Fingers crossed for Les Miserables rehearsals though. If not, then I’d want to just focus on my music or a third draft of my NaNoWriMo novel while I can!
- Lay down and record at least 2-3 songs for my EP.
The why: Because I want to produce my own CD with my own music, and releasing my single in December has me raring to make more. And I just got an interface to connect my keyboard with my computer (a happy christmas to myself) so… magic may be going down before April. That’s just my goal month to have a couple songs done and ready to master. ;)
- The final BiSC! Sad, but I’m so totally stoked for it. I know there will be people I already know and love and new people to greet with monstrous bear hugs.
* * *
And BiSC seems like a good spot to end this list for now. ;)
Since I won’t know if I’ll be cast in a show that I’m planning on auditioning for yet (like Les Mis or Ragtime), so it’s hard to set goals without really knowing what kind of time I have to dedicate to them after the April/May marker. That will be a time to reassess what goals would be manageable with whatever time I do have.
But did you think I was done? NOPE! I have a handful of other non-time-sensitive (NTS) goals too.
- Once my 365 over at Something Write is done, I’d like to continue a similar pattern but less strict, but with 5 creative pieces a week.
- Blog here at MikShorty 3-4 times a month, or once a week. I think consistency would be better here.
- Trim out non-essentials in my life. This can include: unfollow/unfriend people who I no longer feel are a part of my life (had some major WTF moments going through my FB friends last week),
- Get in a work out at least 4 days a week, even if just for 15 minutes (dancing for shows is only partial credit, haha). I’m playing on Fitocracy if anyone cares to join!
- Have at least one day a month unconnected. A whole weekend if possible (no computer, iPad, and only answering phone calls/texts as required).
And that’s pretty much it for now! Looking forward to an amazing year!
So what are your goals for 2013?
What do you want to achieve?
And would you like to join me in any of the above? ;)
9 Comments so far
Leave a comment